Search My Blog

Friday 1 July 2016

Colour me Happy & a charity shop hoak


My outfit yesterday was an exercise in brightening myself up on the outside in the hope it would do the same for my mood. And do you know what? It actually worked.

I have a lovely bright red cardigan from Lindy Bop called 'Hartley' which has cute little heart shaped buttons and a heart pattern all over it. I teamed it with some cropped tight black trousers and a black vest underneath to avoid exposing my bare midriff to the world. I've been giving my skin a little bit of a rest from the foundations so just used a dusting of powder. I have been loving my new Benefit eyebrow cream gel as I actually think I look like I have groomed eyebrows for once so that's been going on everyday. To match the vibrant red top I wore my Makeup Revolution lippy in 'Dare' which went really well with it I thought.


I didn't bother much with my hair - just caught it back at the sides with a couple of small black barrettes. It was a mess but I didn't really mind and I wore some small black round studs I've had in my jewellery box forever. And that was that!





I decided to finally go into town and have a look around the big Sue Ryder charity shop to see what vintage goodies I might be able to find. I've been meaning to go for a while but it's hard to find the time - also I am never alone! I brought my youngest son along in his pushchair whilst the eldest was in nursery. Because I had the pushchair (it's a Baby Jogger City Select which is WIDE) I only ventured into this shop as I just knew I would probably never get in and around any smaller charity stores. I did attempt to go to into this cool little shop called 'Trash or Treasure' on my way back out of the town but the pushchair is just too enormous. I managed to have a quick shufty in the jewellery cases but I must go back on my own and have a proper look around.

My mission was to find brooches as it seems to be the one item I'm missing from my vintage get up. Sadly, I failed on this front but I did find a pair of sherry glasses (I'm such an old lady - I love a drop of Harvey's Bristol Cream) for £1.50, a vintage 70s (I think) Lahmy scarf for £2 and a couple of mother of pearl bangles. There was a straw shopper bag in the window which I didn't buy but I can't stop thinking about it so I might have to go back for it.




They've got some fab vintage furniture in there too - there was a fantastic vanity table just inside the door. If only I had the room for it!! They also had one of those old fashioned hood dryers - again, if only I had the space.

I basically need to go back by myself and have a good hoak (as the Ulster lot say). My Granny has always been one for a good poke around a charity shop and I've never seen the appeal until now. And this has got to be cheaper than my online shopping habit, haha. My goal is to do a charity shop trawl around as many of the stores in Maidstone as I can by myself and see what and where have the best vintage goodies. Do some 'thrifting' as I've noticed the Americans call it.

I 'christened' one of my glasses before dinner. It's actually so silly how happy this made me, haha.


Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment