Search My Blog

Thursday 2 June 2016

Blue Hair Don't Care

So, I recently decided to take the plunge and dye my hair blue. Which, if you've read any of my other posts, will not be news to you. I thought I'd write a post in case you were curious about it.

Brunette era

Why? 

Why the hell not?! I've had all kinds of colours in my hair in the past - some of which I've added pics of throughout this post - but never blue (that I can remember at any rate - My Mum swears I have :/) and I love the Mermaid hair look and was super keen to do something BOLD. So I just did it. I'm always staring at beautiful, stunning hair colour photos on Instagram and Pinterest and, as my old Dad would say "You're a long time dead." Life's too short to hold back, it's only hair after all - it could all fall out tomorrow so make the most of it now and have some bloody fun with it. If I had a pound for every time someone said something along the lines of "I wish I was brave enough to do that with my hair" I'd be a very rich lady. My answer is quite simple - just do it if you actually really want to.

Check out this brilliant Buzzfeed post '28 reasons women shouldn't dye their hair' on the subject - just look at those colours *drool* #Hairgoals.

And absolutely read this Huffington Post article from Jennifer S.White '4 Things I learned when I dyed my hair blue at 36' - spookily dead on with my own experiences and reasoning. And she explains it far more eloquently that I can.

Lilac/pinky peach thing

Who?

I enlisted my friendly local travelling hair dresser Sharni Tickner who runs Miss T's Mobile Hairdressing and Beauty. Let's face it, time at a hair salon is hard to find with two kids (especially one perma-tied to your boobs) so if you can find a good mobile hairdresser to come to your home you're winning. I'd recommend going with someone you know and you're familiar with their work - Sharni is a friend of a friend and has extensive colour work photos on her FB page. She's also done lots of fun and fresh colours so I knew she was the woman for the job.

Believe me, some stylists are a little timid when it comes to colour and I've always found it hard to get what I want in salons where they don't usually deal with customers like me. So, it pays to do your homework - they may well have the catalogue photos with models sporting extreme cuts and shades on their walls... but that doesn't mean they do any of that shit in their parlour.

Strawberry blonde phase

What I looked like before

My hair before was a mix of colour (blonde, brunette and red!) and the cut was an extreme bob (very short at the back and very long at the front). I loved the ombre until I didn't anymore. Frankly, it was a mess and I was so completely over it and desperate for a bit of something more extreme - I needed a bigger colour commitment than just a hint of red underneath. I also wanted to even out the length for more of a lob, although given how extreme and chopped into my hair was it's going to take a while and a few haircuts to really get it more even.

Ombre poser

The process and what we used

We used La Leche Directions semi permanent colours in Turquoise and Blue Lagoon. But first we had to bleach the shit out of my hair to get rid of all that was already on it. That took a few applications, then Sharni applied the two colours and then once rinsed she cut it. The whole hair process took several hours. Seriously, if you do this or something similar you may as well write the day off.

Purple dip dye

Learn from my mistakes.

I would NEVER ever attempt this at home on my own - there's too much risk of it going horribly wrong. I've used box dye in the past and I have to tell you that going darker is fairly easy but once you want to shift that and go lighter you must get a professional to do it. I can't emphasise that enough. I've got the standard horror story of trying to lighten my hair by myself after layers and layers of dark red hair dye and going Chucky doll ginger with glow in the dark blonde roots. AWFUL. Don't do this at home kids.  Pleeeeaaaaase!

A couple of other things to bare in mind;

  • Once you start colouring your hair you've got to be prepared for upkeep - roots are a thing whether you go lighter or darker. 
  • And the make-up you wore with one look may suddenly wash you out or clash with a new extreme colour so you'll have to spend time finding new shades that suit you again. You may even find some clothes & accessories no longer go with the new look.
Blonde chapter

And the results

Below is a copy of Sharni's photos - quite the difference. The colour lasts well (especially as I rarely get the luxury of a regular hair wash these days) but it will and has faded already with every wash as it's just a semi permanent arrangement. 

How's it been?

Admittedly it has taken some getting used to and I feel it 'settled' more once I'd washed it a few times. However, I've had loads of fun just staring at my hair in the mirror and playing with it and trying different make-up... that's a step up from not even glancing at my reflection never mind actually brushing my hair! My eldest keeps saying "Mummy's got blue hair" and smiling, bless him. So, I'm happy and already considering what to do next. As always, with going an extreme colour you get the comments from people who's business it most certainly is not but, you know, fuck 'em.

Experimenting with a black bandana

What next?


I'm already wondering what colour to go next - I'm quite tempted by the silver! Might as well go all out Granny-fied - from blue rinse to grey. Also, check out the pin-up model +Rockagirl - she totally rocks the silver. Not sure I could look even half that fabulous but I could have fun pretending.

Scary Snap Chat as an old lady

I also would love lilac as that's a colour I did attempt in the past (with the help of a stylist at Monkey Hair) only for it to be more of a peachy/pink (pic no.2 in the this post). Still actually really liked the outcome of that one anyway. Would be great to have it done and it actually be lilac though. Or I might just go Alpine green...hahaha. We'll just have to wait and see.

I also need to keep experimenting and trying to find quick & easy ways to style & wear my hair that will nod to the style I'm going for but which will not require hours to put together (& which can withstand a day of children climbing and grabbing at me of course). That's a tough challenge for any hair do I'd say but will naturally keep you informed.

Thanks again for reading - hope this post has inspired you or pushed you closer to realising your hair dreams :)

No comments:

Post a Comment