Search My Blog

Wednesday 8 June 2016

Rosie the Riveter escalation

My take on Rosie the Riveter 

I started out fully intending to do something quick and easy and wound up doing a full face of make-up and a whole series of photos...I got a bit carried away!

Hair

I started with my hair and wanted to have a go at something classically Rockabilly. I managed the below roll after some back combing, a lot of hairspray, swearing and a toddler headbutting my bum. Not too bad. Could be a hell of a lot smoother but I'm pretty chuffed with it for a first go. I then pinned my hair flat at the back and tied my grey bandana in a Land Girl style.


Outfit

I decided to wear the new denim dungarees again (La Redoute) as they're great for running around after the kids. I remembered my gorgeous sheer black and white striped shirt (Next) which has been hanging in my wardrobe unloved for quite some while. It is a little snug these days but the dungarees hide that and it has some lovely details on it. The collar and the tiny buttons running down the back are just lovely. I tried to show the details on the back but it's a bit hard to catch that on your own!





Make-up

I started out with the idea of something day wearable so after using some Benefit POREfessional and a little NYX shine killer on my T zone I used my fave base Clinique CC cream. Then I filled in my eyebrows with my NYX nude eye palette (I actually much prefer it on my eyebrows than on my eyes) and tried to tame them with Benefit Gimme Brow gel. I have this cool Benefit make-up box 'Life of the Party' my sister bought me for Christmas which I decided to use for my eyes and cheeks as I hadn't used it yet. This included 'Dandelion' for highlighting the arches of my brows and along my cheekbones and a touch of 'Rockateur' blush along the tops of my cheeks. For my eyes I used the palest shade 'Call my Bluff' all over the lid then shaded with the two darker colours ('Nude Swings' and 'Taupe if off'). I also used some bronzer in the hollows of my cheeks and around the rest of my face to add a little colour (Bourjois). I then did my winged eyeliner with Barry M liquid liner and applied some of the Benefit mascara 'They're Real' to my stumpy lashes. I originally decided to go with a nude/pink lip so I applied my Soap & Glory lip plumping gloss 'Sexy Mother Pucker' in 'Bare Enough' with Mac Creme Sheen lipstick in 'Creme Cup.' 



I then decided to try some new false lashes I bought last week - also Eyelure but '107' this time. A slightly longer lash with an emphasis on the outer lashes for a more 'vintage feel' according to the box. Not pre-glued this time so I had to do battle with the teeny tiny lash glue bottle whilst trying to get a snack for the toddler, haha.


I think the lashes look pretty good in the photo but I didn't find them as comfortable to wear for some reason - I think they were just a touch too long. Maybe not a day wear lash for me but would be great for a night out (if I ever go on one of those again).

I then decided that I really wanted to go the whole hog and have a red lip. So I went with old faithful Mac Retro Matte lipstick in 'Ruby Woo.'



Well that escalated quickly. I have to admit that I took the lashes off again and then found I was getting a headache from the pins so took my hair out of the bandana and just tied it back as a ponytail in a snag free elastic (which you can see in the photo of the back of my shirt above). Why do bobby pins do that?! I remember the headaches I got at school wearing my hair in a bun. Ouch.

I had some fabulous 'help' from my two year old who also deigned to pout with me for a photo.


And my gorgeous baby boy was his usual smiley self (and was coincidentally dressed to match my hair) which I just had to share.



Oh! And I also outed myself on Facebook and the world didn't implode. I even gained a few new followers on Instagram. Bonus. 



I have so much fun doing these make overs and I'm keen to do more. It would be great to get feedback so please do leave a comment. I'm never sure how much information to impart or what people would actually like to read.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment