Search My Blog

Monday 20 June 2016

There's no place like home


I took a break from the blog over the weekend as my Husband was off work for a whole two days and it was Father's day on Sunday. That hasn't stopped me playing with my hair, make-up and clothes and generally obsessing over my Instagram and everything Retro, Vintage and Rockabilly though.


There's been a few looks I've thrown together and photographed over the last week or so that I haven't put up on my blog yet so I thought I'd make a start on showing them to you today... It's a horrible, grey & rainy 'Summer' day here and I'm still sat in my pyjamas with my two year old. I've distracted him with a bowl of snacks and an introduction to 'The Wizard of Oz.'

 Dorothy and her ruby slippers forever 


Before I get started, I mentioned in a previous post some 40s style suede shoe boots from Clarks and a trusty old star shaped bag from River Island... I took a photo of them with my Nikon and efficiently forgot to add them. So here it is in case you wanted to see what they were like. This bag is my default going out bag and it's starting to show. It's very pretty and has garnered many an oooh and aaah from other ladies but it is rather impractical for carrying anything larger than a lipstick due to it's shape! The shoes are really comfy and the 'V' shape at the front is really flattering as it shows off a well turned ankle - very forties.


Look of the day

So, I had my first attempt at a french twist - I have never tried this style before and in truth my hair is still too short at the bottom to really get it right. But, I'm still pretty happy with this and have Lauren Rennells and her fab book 'Vintage Hairstyling' (pg. 122) to thank for it. The trick is to brush your hair over to one side and then insert bobby pins flat against the head and then roll the hair over them and then pin the roll in place. Those first pins then give the second lot of pins something to grip onto. My mind was blown, hahaha. I never knew this technique and it really works. Can't wait for my hair to grow so I can try this with more of a beehive element.  


Hair is too short - boo.
At the front I wanted to go for a large barrel roll and wanted to go pretty big as my previous rolls have been on the more sedate side. I also added in a grey bandana and then did my make-up and added some black plastic circle stud earrings.

Make-up wise I did the usual and used the good old Eylure falsies to keep it fun and flirty. I decided to try using a dark red lipstick. It's a NYX matte lippy called 'Siren.' I'm not entirely sold on the look on me but I did get some positive feed back on Instagram so maybe I just need to get used to it!





I'm not a fan of wearing my hair so far up and away from my face in real life so don't think I would incorporate this in an everyday look. But, I have had a lot of fun doing it and anything that is experimental and hopefully improves on my technique is a bonus. It could be neater and it's full of hairspray (which really dulls the hair) but I think it's ok over all.


Until next time, thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment