Search My Blog

Thursday 16 June 2016

Little Miss Organised



Today has been a much happier and productive day - I have firmly removed myself from the fug. Thank goodness. It's horrible when it descends and sometimes it can be difficult to see a way out of it but I really think writing a blog post helped me out of it so much quicker than normal. Nice!

My eldest went to nursery today so I only had the baby to contend with. During his nice long nap I did what makes me super duper happy - I organised; I organised the shit out of my make-up & hair stuff. We live in a Victorian terraced house which means the bathroom is downstairs at the back as an add on (obviously they didn't have bathrooms when it was first built so it's a 'modern' addition) and with my youngest still sleeping in our room, both at night and for naps, I quite often have to paint my face and style up the old bonce on the fly. i.e. while one or both of the children are napping. I have a lovely Ikea dressing table in our bedroom that was my pride and joy but I rarely get to use it now and it's become a disorganised mess of God knows what. So, I made the executive decision to sort out my old trolley from Argos and use it to put all my crap into keep it downstairs. As it's on wheels I can move the lovely plastic bugger about as I need to from bathroom to living room etc.

Before




It had seen better days - it needed a thorough clean and a proper go through. So, with a big ol' bin bag to hand I went through each drawer and threw out anything I don't use or which is out of date etc. I'm also trying this 'sparks joy' bollocks I've heard about recently... If it doesn't spark joy you should get rid of it. Not sure I'm going to get 'joy' out of a hair band but I applied it to things like lipsticks and nail polishes. If the colour does nothing for me why would I keep it?

Once I'd baby wiped the whole thing free of dirt (Mums - cleaning the world one baby wipe at a time):

I gathered everything and started sorting it into the drawers. Its really quite therapeutic. 

Make-up Drawer

Hair styling & scarves
Accessories; hair flowers, earrings, hairclips/slides
Random drawer; nail things, perfume etc
I had some Ikea storage sets - a soft woven basket set called Nordrana and three of the smallest plastic tubs from a set called Godmorgon which were going unused so I was thrilled (no lie) to find a use for them. I live for that shit.

In the flower and accessory drawer I repurposed one of the many ASOS boxes to store my costume jewelry earrings in. The foam that comes with the box is perfect for pushing each earring through meaning I can see at a glance what I have in there, rather than having to do my usual dig through a pile of mismatched studs until I find something, anything to wear.





And here it is after - all sparkly and happy at being useful again



I have also repurposed this gorgeous vintage suitcase I have had for a while now (I inherited it from the house clearance of my Husband's Godmother). I've been desperate to find a use for it. It's been a shame for it to be sitting around doing bugger all. So, in a similar vein to the trolley, I am using it to trug around my hair machines i.e the dryer, curler and hair products. I can never be sure where I will be doing my hair so I need portability and the suitcase keeps it all neatly stored and easy to transport around. Plus it looks flipping cool.




The next things to achieve on my organisational list are;

  • Wash my make-up brushes (I have never done this *shame faced*)
  • Sort through all my clothes and give a shit load to charity
  • Arrange my clothes and accessories in our bedroom so I can find whatever I need - but make it pretty!
I've also got a tonne of new clothes and accessories to play with so I need to find time to do that... I have some fab hats to try and style. I also bought some 40 style snoods from Vivien of Holloway to try out and a tub of pomade to experiment with for the first time (can't help but think of George Clooney's character in O Brother Where Art Thou when I say pomade - "I'm a Dapper Dan Man"). I'm hoping it will help me to achieve better styles and a shinier do as the hairspray really dulls it.


I'm also currently awaiting on my first Collectif Clothing purchase... there are so many bloody sales on at the moment. I have such a terrible trigger finger for online shopping and I couldn't resist this beauty. It's less than £40 down from £150 and so elegant. I just hope it suits me - I have designs on it making a debut on a nice meal out in New York in December.





Speaking of which, I'm waiting on a full skirted tweed Topshop coat I bid on and won on Ebay. Again, with designs on it being shown the bright lights of the Big Apple. I really want to look the part when we go instead of the usual tourist garb. I've also managed to purchase a couple of faux fur collar/scarves which I'm planning to wear with this to give it more of a lux 40s/50s feel. I completely feel in love with the Collectif Pearl coat but not only can you not get hold of it for love nor money but it's expensive... so I've tried my best to come up with my own version.



I also want to do my homework on where to shop in NY... there must be scads of amazing vintage possibilities. Oh my God I'm getting so excited already! We're going for my beautiful sister's 30th birthday and we both love the same style of clothing so we could have some real fun shopping together. If anyone reading this has any suggestions please do leave a comment. 

Anyway, I could witter on and on for hours about ALL THE THINGS. So, I'd best be off or I'll have nothing to write about tomorrow.

Thanks for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment