Search My Blog

Sunday 5 June 2016

Pyjama Sunday and a look back at Victory Rolls


So, I've had about 3 hours sleep thanks, in large part to the almost 8 month old, and am actually feeling sick because I'm so tired. I've allowed myself two cups of coffee this morning (don't tell the Mummy Police) and today is officially 'Pyjama Sunday' - I am declaring it. No styling or fun outfits for me sadly... which is a shame as I have so many ideas and outfits still to try. And I want to keep experimenting with my hair. Ah well - as Scarlet O'Hara would say "Tomorrow is another day."


What's funny is that I'd just recently saved this meme below with the intention of it being a kind of new motto... Hmmm maybe start that tomorrow as well.


Instead, I've been doing a little bit of homework (when the eyes allow to me to focus) by having a shufty through a book I've had on my shelf forever 'Vintage Hairstyling' by Lauren Rennells. It's fantastically well put together and answers many a question I have about how to put vintage hair together - so much to work on. I now have hair nets, snoods and pomade on my shopping list - I'm sounding more and more Granny like by the day.


In the meantime, I've already experimented and practised some Victory Rolls... I'd Youtubed some tutorial videos an age ago and had produced some good and some not so good attempts before abandoning the project altogether. My recent attempt actually turned out well and I put them together from memory on the technique - I think sometimes there not being any pressure to get it right means you're more relaxed and so the project actually goes well. I had fun styling them up with different outfits... A shit tonne of photos below - don't say I didn't warn you.

Letterman Sweater

First up was my bargain Basketball/bomber 'Letterman' style jacket from La Redoute for a preppy Rockabilly feel. The flower was bought a lifetime ago for a wedding so can't even tell you where that came from.


Forties Starlet

I tied the loose curls back with transparent plastic snag free ties into bunches which actually produced, in my opinion, a pretty sophisticated forties look (especially from the front). I wore some super duper bargain bin sparkly ear cuffs I found in the supermarket Sainsbury's by chance. They cost a whole £6 (£3 per set - one cuff and one stud in a set). The dress is one of my old faithful's that I bought years ago in River Island - it's a real forties style tea dress and has some lovely flattering draping round the tummy area and is a stretchy fabric that hangs really nicely. I come back to it time and again. 



Super quick quirky pin up

I couldn't get the bandana to stay on (still need to perfect that way of tying it) so I only got this one photo snapped but I really like it! It's sort of a cute and quirky pin up style - like I'm working in a munitions factory - and you can't tell the bandana slid off seconds after this was taken. I had on my La Redoute denim dungarees and a New Look black ribbed 'Bardot' style top - I think the dungarees look better with lighter tops and/or patterns which is another reason why I only took one photo.


Feeling darling in Dungarees

So I swapped out the black top for this perfectly vintage style cardigan from Lindy Bop which I think looks so much better (and obviously 'removed' the bandana). I was trying to get a shot of the top of my head to really show the Victory Rolls (not the neatest rolls in the world but I'm still proud of them) but that angle does nothing for my forehead... It looks bloody enormous!! I'm not small of forehead that's for sure but in this it's like the towering inferno of spams. Hahaha. Must remember that for future photos.


Day at the Seaside Vibes

This was a real quick one before I had to return to reality... The polka dot top is (surprise, surprise) from Lindy Bop and I quickly threw on my Mango straw visor that I bought from ASOS before taking the shot. 

I love this visor! I didn't even know I wanted one until I was browsing the website and then I bought two of them. The second one was on sale and is from a brand called Liquorice and is a darker wicker with a navy bow trim. They're a real nod to a vintage style and can be rolled up for ease of transportation and storage. So much more versatile than a normal floppy hat. I'm very fair and burn in the sun after about 10 minutes so these will keep the sun off my face, stop my parting getting burnt and will look fabulous, especially with sundresses and espadrilles. Happy days.


As you can see, I've been dressing up and posing it up like a storm. By the way, my lipstick - isn't it gorgeous? I was searching for the perfect red/blue lipstick forever and came across this one purely by chance. It's Chanel #99 'Pirate' and I purchased the matching Chanel lipliner at the same time - which comes with a lip brush at one end. I usually go for more of a matte finish like the pin up fave Mac's Ruby Woo but I find they can in general (depending on the brand) be pretty drying as the day wears on... Both the lipstick and lip liner feel luxe to use and stay on my lips really well. I didn't do any touch ups during this whole shoot. It's expensive but it feels expensive to use and I'm so happy with it that I know I'll get a lot of use out of them.

So, here ends the epic post on my first foray into Victory Rolls. Hopefully all spelt correctly and making sense - I've had the added challenge of writing this with my toddler diving on me and demanding Rice Cakes and a Disney film for some of it.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment